22 Weeks of Summer: Post #11 – Selling Your House this Summer? Update Your Kitchen!
It’s already July, and if you’re just putting your house on the market, you probably want it to sell as soon as possible. One of the best ways to improve your odds of making a sale is by focusing on the heart of your house: The kitchen.
Fortunately, it doesn’t take big bucks to update your kitchen. In fact, you can do a few simple things to make your kitchen look more inviting and seem a little roomier.
Steps to Quickly (and Cost-Effectively!) Update Your Kitchen:
- Remove all unnecessary appliances (e.g., blenders, toasters, food processors) from countertops. This will make the countertops stand out and appear larger.
- Paint or re-stain the cabinets.
- Install new countertops (or hire a professional to help you with the installation).
- Purchase and install new hardware on your kitchen cabinetry.
- Keep everything spotless. (It can be tough, especially if you have kids, but it’s well worth it!)
- Remove all the personal items from your refrigerator.
- Repair any wooden cabinetry that is broken.
- Purchase and install new faucets.
- Purchase and install different lighting fixtures.
- If your kitchen is small, remove any large stools, tables, etc., to make the space seem roomier.
More than anything else, remember that you’re trying to woo someone with tastes other than your family’s. That means you may have to live for a little while with a kitchen that you wouldn’t necessarily want; however, if it gets you into your new place faster, it’s well worth a little sacrifice!