Tips For Basement Renovations
It’s dark, it’s musty, but it just might be your salvation if you feel like your house is too small. It’s your basement, and if you’re looking to remodel or renovate it, you’re not alone.
Homeowners who aren’t ready to move often look to basement rooms for additional living space. After all, it’s often practical and spacious.
Before you begin your project, here are some SECCO basement room renovation tips to keep in mind:
- If you have a damp basement, you have to get that fixed before you start to remodel. Otherwise, your damp basement with just turn into a damp extra bedroom or family room. Yuck.
- Plan to add lighting. Most basements are not as well-lit as other areas of your home, so you’ll need to compensate. All that light will help make the space feel roomier, too.
- If you’re going to be adding a bathroom, kitchen or other similar area, make sure you understand your community’s codes before starting this type of remodeling. A contractor should be able to help you.
- Be certain you have ventilation. If your basement isn’t equipped to vent air in and out, you’ll need to address that situation so the area doesn’t begin to smell musty.
- If you’re going to need to move your furnace or hot water heater, please call a professional. This is not something to try on a DIY basis.
Enjoy reaping the rewards of your basement room renovation project!