Why Worry About Wet Crawl Spaces?
Wet crawl spaces can be a massive hassle and inconvenience, not to mention a source of a variety of health issues to your home. Homes with wet or damp crawl spaces are more susceptible to pest invasions, rotted flooring or joists and mold growth.
Crawl spaces can be considered wet or damp without dramatic leaking or flooding. Water vapor and open vents can also negatively impact the dryness of your space.
Wet crawl spaces can be messy and lead to a multitude of issues; Because of this, calling a plumber to check up on your space or to deal with moisture removal is highly recommended.
When evaluating or drying your space, a plumber will:
- Check for and repair any leaks
- Insulate cold water pipes (to prevent condensation)
- Check grading, gutters and drains to make sure they are working properly and not contributing to the issue
- Remove and replace wet insulation
- Remove any mold
A Few Preventative Options
- Install a sump pump (if needed) to remove any excess water
- Install a vapor barrier
- Invest in an energy efficient crawl space dehumidifier to keep the space dry
You don’t want to risk serious illness or respiratory issues associated with mold and mildew. You also don’t want to risk compromising the integrity of the structure of your home due to preventable water damage. If you have concerns about wet crawl spaces in your home, don’t wait. Fix the issue immediately.