22 Weeks of Summer: Post #3 – 9 Common Water Wasting Mistakes to Avoid This Summer
Guess what? Mom was right after all (again!) Wasting water can cause a huge drain on your pocketbook or wallet.
Of course, the best way to ensure that you aren’t wasting water is to know the facts. That’s why we’ve put together the top 9 common water wasting mistakes to avoid this summer. Enjoy… and conserve!
- Americans’ water usage has skyrocketed in the past 50 years with almost 95 percent of the water that enters the home being sent down the drain. The next time you use the shower, take a bath or run the water when you brush your teeth, think about how you can use less.
- Ancient (and we use that term tongue-in-cheek) toilets really aren’t particularly conducive to saving you money. If you have older ones in your home, consider getting them replaced and saving several gallons of water with every flush.
- If your faucets are leaking, remember that every drop of water that’s leaving the spigot is costing you something.
- Sure, garden hoses and sprinklers can create terrific fun on hot summer days, but use them as sparingly as you can. Hoses can be a source of huge water loss during the warmer months.
- Older dishwashing units are notoriously inefficient. Replace yours and save gallons upon gallons of water with each use. (And if you have just a few dishes to wash at a time, consider hand-washing them.)
- Yes, you want your landscaping to be beautiful, but not at the expense of hundreds of dollars. Use collected rainwater or used cooking water (cooled down and without meat fats) to water your garden, plants and trees.
- Install a water filtration device on your kitchen tap and you’ll save tons on purchasing water in plastic bottles.
- The shorter your shower, the more you’ll save. (Bonus points for turning off the water as you’re cleaning off!) Plus, if you take a shower instead of a bath, you’ll likely save water.
- Try using your washing machine only when you can fill it up entirely. In other words, forget about those small loads unless you absolutely, positively have nothing else to wear!